Primary care professionals serve on the front lines of healthcare. In many circumstances, they are the first point of contact in the healthcare system and are usually the first to see depression, early signs of cancer or chronic disease, and other health concerns. They ensure that patients get the correct care, in the right setting, by the appropriate provider, and are consistent with the patient’s values and desires. Primary care professionals can be considered the quarterbacks of healthcare.
The importance of a primary care provider extends far beyond his or her ability to cover numerous issues. Establishing a good relationship with a primary care provider allows you to have consistency and efficiency for many of your health concerns. These are a few reasons why primary care is important:
- Prevention and Condition Management – A primary care provider is responsible for a variety of things including, screening for all important health-related conditions. They will screen you for many things, such as obesity, high blood pressure, and diabetes. If you already have a chronic condition, they will help you to manage it to improve your quality of life. They will also look at all your prescription records and assist with regular refills. Fulfilling those refills will be more difficult without a primary care provider.
- Familiarity – Just knowing who you are and understanding the intricacies of your health and wellness are two entirely different things. Your primary care provider will be able to get to know not only you but your family as well. The knowledge and familiarity that a primary care physician provides will help personalize your care and save you time that may have been spent explaining your medical history and any concerns you may have. A primary care provider’s main goal is to give the care that’s right for YOU, not appoint a one-size-fits-all approach. Receiving health care that is specialized for you is easier when you have a good relationship with your provider.
- Providing Care as a Team – Primary care providers are a part of a team of experts that can meet your exact needs. These teams are typically put together by a mix of physicians, nurse practitioners, physician’s assistants, registered nurses, patient access staff and patient care associates. This team approach provides you with excellent health care through the contribution of unique skills and specialties.
We suggest doing some research and picking a primary care provider who’s the right choice for you. If you are looking for a primary care physician in San Antonio, Texas, then Gonzaba Medical Group is perfect for you! Our team of primary care professionals is here to suit all your healthcare needs. Give us a call at (210) 921-3800 or visit our website for more information on our services!
Self-care is any activity that we do deliberately to take care of your mental, emotional, and physical health. Despite it being a very simple concept in theory, it is often overlooked. Self-care is imperative to maintaining a good mood, handling anxiety, and reducing stress. Therefore, self-care is key to living a balanced life.
Self-care and wellness go hand in hand. Wellness is defined as an active process of becoming aware of and making choices that contribute to a healthy and fulfilled life. It’s more than being free from illness; it’s a process of consistently taking care of yourself. Self-care is an essential part of maintaining good health and a vibrant life.
Did you know that men typically live five years less than women? When it comes to wellness, men don’t go to the doctor as often as women do. Approximately 80% of men are less likely than women to see a doctor for regular checkups. Men are typically seen as strong or impervious to illness and injury. For a variety of reasons, men sometimes build their self-worth on how much they can put on their plate and handle. Some people think that men who take the time to take care of themselves as weak or feminine. It has taken society a long time to recognize the importance of self-care for men. Taking care of yourself is important for everyone—not just women.
Self-care is not a gender-specific necessity.
Everyone needs to practice self-care on a regular basis. Practicing self-care on a regular basis should be done for plenty of reasons, for example:
- It reduces the effects of stress. When you get too stressed, it begins to break down your mind and body. Taking care of yourself ensures that stress won’t take over, so you can perform at your highest potential.
- It prevents feeling “burnt-out”. This is something that happens to everyone when you knowingly take on more than you can handle, thinking it will be fine. You could end up pushing yourself to the point where you can’t take it anymore. Self-care helps prevent getting to this point.
- It can enable you to refocus. If you get stuck on a task at home or work, studies have shown that taking a break to focus on yourself and take a step back will help you perform better.
Men, it’s time to step up and start making small changes to improve your health and overall quality of life. It’s essential for men to teach themselves self-care and to prioritize it. Here are a few ways for men to start practicing self-care and wellness:
- Exercise regularly. This is common sense, but as you get older and busier you tend to put exercising on the backburner. The key is to find the right kind of exercise for you. Exercising is a great way to let off steam or frustration and will help you clear your head. Check out the Gonzaba Event Center website for a schedule of free exercise classes. Don’t have time to come to a class? The Gonzaba YouTube channel has plenty of exercise videos that you can follow along to at home!
- Eat healthy. This is extremely important for busy men. To perform and feel your best, you must feed your body with the correct nutrients to fuel you. Cut down on sugar, salt, and unhealthy fats. Try to eat unprocessed food more often than you eat processed foods. Lastly, incorporate more plant-based foods into your everyday diet.
- Meditate: it has been proven that meditation is excellent for your mental, emotional, and spiritual health. It helps alleviate stress and incorporate more mindfulness into your day. You don’t have to be a spiritual yoga master to do this. Several apps can help you begin meditating, even for just 10 minutes a day. This is also a good way for you to take some time for yourself each day. The Gonzaba Event Center offers a chair yoga class, which provides the same mindful focus as some meditation.
The benefits of self-care and wellness speak for themselves. The more you practice self-care, the more it pays off. This is an extremely effective way for men to improve their health. If you’re looking for help to improve your health, Gonzaba Medical Group in San Antonio is here for you! Contact us today at (210) 921-3800 or visit our website for more information.
Most people will need to see a doctor at least a few times in their life. While everybody in San Antonio knows that routine check-ups and yearly physicals are conducted by their primary care doctor, not everyone realizes that their primary care physician in San Antonio also provides diagnosis and treatment for a wide range of common illnesses and conditions. In fact, the doctor often serves as the first contact that people suffering from some sort of illness or malady will need to see for treatment.
A primary care doctor is also referred to as a general practice doctor. Insurance companies typically require individuals to see a primary care physician first before making an appointment with any other specialists, as the physician is best equipped to properly diagnose any problems and recommend further treatment if necessary. The primary care doctor has studied extensively and will have a great deal of experience in identifying, diagnosing and treating many different common illnesses.
Primary care doctors also treat the whole family, and as such have knowledge of a family medical history. This makes it easier for them to properly diagnose some of the symptoms and conditions of their patients based on previous appointments. They also know to look for red flags and other indicators of an illness that someone who doesn’t have knowledge of a family history wouldn’t think to look for.
Some of the common illnesses treated by primary care doctors include the following:
A common malady, bronchitis occurs when a person’s main air passages become inflamed. Common symptoms include coughing, and bronchitis is often mistaken for a common cold. People suffering from bronchitis for an extensive period of time are known to have chronic bronchitis.
High or Low Blood Pressure
Another very common and also very serious condition, high or low blood pressure can lead to heart disease, kidney failure, and other critical conditions. This is why primary care physicians also check their patients’ blood pressure whenever they come in for an appointment.
There are two main types of diabetes affecting millions of people in the United States. Primary care physicians can make a diagnosis of diabetes after performing a blood glucose test.
Headaches and Migraines
Everybody gets a headache every now and then, but continued headaches ranging from mild to severe may signal a problem. Very strong, painful headaches are usually migraines, which can often be quite debilitating. Millions of people are affected by migraines, and other factors in a person’s lifestyle can be the cause of regular headaches.
High blood cholesterol can lead to many serious conditions. Many factors can cause high cholesterol, including diet, weight and a lack of regular exercise or physical activity.
This chronic lung disease typically starts in childhood, causing chronic shortness of breath, coughing and wheezing. Many different factors can cause asthma to develop, including genetics.
If not treated, a bladder infection can become very serious. Also known as a urinary tract infection, this malady results in over 8 million visits to a primary care physician each year.
People should make an appointment to see their primary care physician if they have been feeling pain in any area of the body for a significant length of time. Depending where a person is feeling pain can mean several different things, and the primary care doctor will know which tests to conduct in order to better determine the cause of the pain.
Respiratory and Sinus Infections
If not treated by a physician, an infection can turn serious and lead to other health problems. What starts as a relatively uncomfortable condition can worsen over time, so it is always best to see a primary care doctor for diagnosis and treatment.
The above list is just a relatively small sampling of the many illnesses, conditions and symptoms that can be treated by a primary care doctor. Other illnesses and conditions that an individual might see a primary care physician for include:
- Cuts and scrapes
- Broken bones
- Swelling in the arms or legs
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Minor burns
- Cancer screenings
- Ear infections
- Fungus issues
- Skin conditions
Subsequently, it can be said that a primary care physician offers complete medical care for the whole family under one roof. Visiting a primary care physician is also typically less expensive than unnecessarily going to the hospital, and if a specialist is needed, the primary care doctor can help patients find a medical specialist that is knowledgeable and experienced as well so that they will be well taken care of.
In addition to treating all of the above illnesses and conditions, the primary care physician also provides preventative care and administers vaccines. Anyone can begin to see a primary care doctor at any point in their life. To make an appointment with a primary care doctor, San Antonio residents can contact the Gonzaba Medical Group. Patients will receive the quality medical care and attention they need, and they can rest assured that their health needs will always be put first.