Self-care is any activity that we do deliberately to take care of your mental, emotional, and physical health. Despite it being a very simple concept in theory, it is often overlooked. Self-care is imperative to maintaining a good mood, handling anxiety, and reducing stress. Therefore, self-care is key to living a balanced life.
Self-care and wellness go hand in hand. Wellness is defined as an active process of becoming aware of and making choices that contribute to a healthy and fulfilled life. Itâ€™s more than being free from illness; itâ€™s a process of consistently taking care of yourself. Self-care is an essential part of maintaining good health and a vibrant life.
Did you know that men typically live five years less than women? When it comes to wellness, men donâ€™t go to the doctor as often as women do. Approximately 80% of men are less likely than women to see a doctor for regular checkups. Men are typically seen as strong or impervious to illness and injury. For a variety of reasons, men sometimes build their self-worth on how much they can put on their plate and handle. Some people think that men who take the time to take care of themselves as weak or feminine. It has taken society a long time to recognize the importance of self-care for men. Taking care of yourself is important for everyoneâ€”not just women.
Self-care is not a gender-specific necessity.
Everyone needs to practice self-care on a regular basis. Practicing self-care on a regular basis should be done for plenty of reasons, for example:
- It reduces the effects of stress. When you get too stressed, it begins to break down your mind and body. Taking care of yourself ensures that stress wonâ€™t take over, so you can perform at your highest potential.
- It prevents feeling â€śburnt-outâ€ť. This is something that happens to everyone when you knowingly take on more than you can handle, thinking it will be fine. You could end up pushing yourself to the point where you canâ€™t take it anymore. Self-care helps prevent getting to this point.
- It can enable you to refocus. If you get stuck on a task at home or work, studies have shown that taking a break to focus on yourself and take a step back will help you perform better.
Men, itâ€™s time to step up and start making small changes to improve your health and overall quality of life. Itâ€™s essential for men to teach themselves self-care and to prioritize it. Here are a few ways for men to start practicing self-care and wellness:
- Exercise regularly. This is common sense, but as you get older and busier you tend to put exercising on the backburner. The key is to find the right kind of exercise for you. Exercising is a great way to let off steam or frustration and will help you clear your head. Check out the Gonzaba Event Center website for a schedule of free exercise classes. Donâ€™t have time to come to a class? The Gonzaba YouTube channel has plenty of exercise videos that you can follow along to at home!
- Eat healthy. This is extremely important for busy men. To perform and feel your best, you must feed your body with the correct nutrients to fuel you. Cut down on sugar, salt, and unhealthy fats. Try to eat unprocessed food more often than you eat processed foods. Lastly, incorporate more plant-based foods into your everyday diet.
- Meditate: it has been proven that meditation is excellent for your mental, emotional, and spiritual health. It helps alleviate stress and incorporate more mindfulness into your day. You donâ€™t have to be a spiritual yoga master to do this. Several apps can help you begin meditating, even for just 10 minutes a day. This is also a good way for you to take some time for yourself each day. The Gonzaba Event Center offers a chair yoga class, which provides the same mindful focus as some meditation.
The benefits of self-care and wellness speak for themselves. The more you practice self-care, the more it pays off. This is an extremely effective way for men to improve their health. If youâ€™re looking for help to improve your health, Gonzaba Medical Group in San Antonio is here for you! Contact us today at (210) 921-3800 or visit our website for more information.